The Paddle Sports Center embodies a general stoke that reverberates throughout the Santa Barbara community. We most often see it with our inspiring membership base, but all that pass through our doors are uplifted from their ocean experiences. Studies have shown that spending time on or near water generally make us happier, healthier people. Through this job there are endless opportunities to connect with the people of our community and our natural world. Our General Manager role is the conductor of stoke, a position that simply is a great Santa Barbara lifestyle. While the pace can be extremely fast at times, we surround ourselves with people of character and as a team we guide our paddlers in having the best experience possible.
The successful candidate for this role should possess excellent communication skills, superior knowledge of business functions, exceptional budgeting and finance skills, a deep understanding of the water sports industry and strong leadership qualities. The noteworthy General Manager should account for all business activities, support staff development, enhance efficiency, drive sales and improve revenue, maintain relationships with clients, enhance the organization’s image, and meet overall growth objectives. A candidate should possess a background in Kayaking, Stand-Up Paddle Boarding, and Surfing. A successful candidate will posses an passion to work through education, to help save the worlds oceans.
GM Responsibilities: The General Manager duty is to oversee all daily business operations of the Paddle Sports Center.
Other duties may include but are not limited to:
– Employee recruitment and training for shop staff. Assist Head Guide with GIC (Guide, Instructor, Counselor) recruitment and training.
– Organizing staff meetings
– Evaluate staff performance and productivity.
– Task staff with daily/weekly goals
– Inventory Management
– Prepare Preseason purchases
– Sell off used equipment seasonally.
– Inventory control
– Aid Head Guide with outfitting gear maintenance.
– Customer Service / Sales
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as proven excellent customer serviceResponsible for creating a fun & friendly atmosphere in the shop.
– PSC Member Relations: Billing, sales, on boarding, creating & executing member events.
– Large Group Sales: Estimates, staffing, invoicing, execution
– Hotel Relationship Development
– Aiding in daily operations of facilitating water sports rentals, tours and lessons.
– Researching and identifying growth opportunities
– Generating reports and giving presentations
– Creating and managing a budget
– Representative to local Government Agencies for daily operations
– Manage Social Media Accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Google, Yelp, Trip Advisor)
– Manage Email Marketing Campaigns
– Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year university in a relevant field
– 3+ years’ experience working with a water sports rental center, eco-tour adventure company, summer camp, fitness studio or a similar field.
– Good knowledge of different business functions
– Strong leadership qualities
– Highly Organized
– Strong work ethic
– Good interpersonal skills
– Meticulous attention to detail
– Proactive nature
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as proven excellent customer service
This is a salary position working in the store Tuesday – Saturday on a regular schedule. Due to the nature of our business, the GM may be required to fill in more hours seasonally & be flexible with the scheduling demands of working for an outfitting company.
Compensation: Starts at $40,000 + Tips (est. $4,000-$8,000 per year) :: DOE
Perks: Free Paddling (Kayak, SUP, Surf), discounts at local businesses, free yoga at our partner studio, various discounts for friends and family.